[Tagging] Meaning of "administrative" in boundary=administrative, in your country?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 1 13:36:57 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-01 15:05, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 5:49 AM Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> IIRC Indian Reservations can, and do, cross state boundaries, in which case they don't fit in this hierarchy. Or am I wrong here?
>
> Some do. The only one of New York's that crosses the state line is
> Akwesasne, which is not recognized as a unified entity by any
> government but its own. (The Federal government calls the portion in
> New York the 'Saint Regis Indian Reservation'.) The hierarchical point
> is that every point in the state is in exactly one City, Town or
> Indian Reservation and no City or Town claims an Indian Reservation as
> part of its domain.  No Town crosses a county line, and the instances
> where a City or Indian Reservation does can be counted on the fingers
> of one hand.

I just looked on Wikipedia, and 24 out of 326 Indian Reservations cross
state boundaries. Of those, most are split between 2 states, but there
are four reservations that bridge three states.

Wikipedia also says: "An Indian reservation is a legal designation for
an area of land managed [1] by a federally recognized Indian tribe [2]
under the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs [3] rather than the state
governments of the United States [4] in which they are physically
located" which supports my position that they are not part of the normal
administrative hierarchy of USA-state-county-city/town where each entity
at a lower level is part of exactly one entity at higher levels.

In your example (St Regis) it seems Akwesasne actually crosses the
national boundary into Canada as well!

Links:
------
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_tenure