[Tagging] Adding mapillary tags to every building

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:23:44 UTC 2020

> Is it really necessary? "give image for location [lat, lon] from direction
> X" seems a
> basic functionality for service like Mapillary.

I almost never found a photo of something I was looking for with OsmAnd's
"close by Mapillary photos". I think Osmand only takes Mapillary photos x
meters from the subject. The compass and gps  inside mobile phones aren't
good enough for this to work this easily. Directions of photos are often
wrong. Maybe if we wait some 5-10 years for neural networks to understand
the surroundings, and decide which photos show the subject.

And a second point is there are a lot of low quality photos, shot behind
the dashboard, and others, shot specifically for that building, framing it
just right, on a nice sunny day. I don't think there is going to be an
algorithm that decides which photo is nicer.

Janko