[Tagging] Adding mapillary tags to every building

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Jun 5 16:15:48 UTC 2020

Hi Mateusz,

On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 06:13:12PM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> Jun 4, 2020, 16:00 by vincent at bergeot.org:
>
> > Le 04/06/2020 ร  15:49, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging a รฉcritย :
> >
> >> You have right to use your own images, AFAIK there is also a special permission
> >> for OSM mapping but otherwise images are owned by them.
> >>

> > mapillary picture are CC-BY-SA, you can use pictures and download them without pay nothing.
> >
> Scroll down on https://www.mapillary.com/pricing to "Commonly asked questions"
> "Can I download image files?"
>
> You can download thumbnails (up to 2048 pixels wide) of Mapillary public imagery,
> and originals of images you've contributed yourself. If you have a subscription to
> Mapillary public imagery, you can use and access the imagery for commercial use
> through the Mapillary platform, integrations, and APIs. You will not be able to
> download original image files.
>
> I have no idea how at at the same time Mapillary claims on the same page
> "Mapillary imagery is also available under an open license (CC BY-SA)."
> and offers "Use Mapillary public imagery" for 2000$/year (up to 25km of roads
> is free according to this page)

> Mapillary claims that it is not possible to download original images even if you
> are a paying customer.
>
> Overall it leaves me even less interested in their project.

I guess downloading original images cant be done for legal reasons e.g.
privacy. Mapillary would only be allowed to publish images with
processing e.g. blurring faces, number plates etc.

As a registered user i can access my originals.

But my workflow is different. I changed to keep all images i upload.
So in case Mapillary is going "belly up" i still have all my images
i still can use or reupload somewhere else. And i tried uploading
to openstreetcam aswell.

So - I am pretty clear about limits of Mapillary and i once wrote
my own toolchain to store and visualize and i could revive that.

I am still happy they exist and i uploaded 120000+ images covering
1000km+ - I did systematic street overview images for the towns i
care about mapping. I did it in 2014/15 and now refreshing.

I wished OSM would offer a similar service integrated into our
toolsets etc. As long as we dont have it we need to be thankful
somebody else has build a businessmodel which pays for the gigantic
storage and processing needed.

Flo
        UTF-8 Test: The ๐Ÿˆ ran after a ๐Ÿ, but the ๐Ÿ ran away