Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:39:41 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 8. Juni 2020 um 11:20 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org>:

> On 6. Jun 2020, at 00:04, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I do object strongly to the invitation to remove the
> razed/dismantled-railway tag in the case of railway tracks have been
> replaced by roads with the same geometry.
>
> +1
>
> Add I have no problem with removal of them.

this is fine, we do not have to share opinions on everything. But we should
be cautious to not misrepresent community consensus in the wiki. It doesn't
appear to be an universally shared conviction that you can remove these
objects of which the traces are less evident than of other things.

> I see the point in cases of ones where there are no traces
> but road geometry makes 100% clear that railway was there
> and probably would not delete them.
>
> I see point in cases where track of former railway is marked/
> memorialized/etc and that info is mentioned on OSM object.
>
> But for cases where new road is matching geometry but shape
> is not recognizable at all as track of former railroad, and
> historic maps are needed to recognize it?

there aren't only written/drawn sources by the way. Oral tradition can also
be relevant. Your grandpa told your dad and your dad told you, why not?

> Deletion should happen, OSM is not for objects that are gone.

we were discussing objects which left traces. "are gone" is not very
precise, do you intend to include things which aren't operational but
traces are there? Or does is mean "left not traces whatsoever"?

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Interior_Seaway
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ural_Ocean
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundance_Sea
> and other https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Historical_oceans
> also left traces and are not mappable in OSM

I agree that these are not very compatible with OSM, similar to current
geological features, and even current oceans aren't very well represented
in OSM. They aren't good examples for discussing dismantled railways
though. They are former natural features, of millions and billions years
ago (i.e. all the coastlines were completely different), while railways are
man made features.

Cheers
Martin