[Tagging] Should we map things that do not exist?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 14:20:56 UTC 2020

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 at 14:59, Niels Elgaard Larsen <elgaard at agol.dk> wrote:

> Some stores are tagges as vacant or disused.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3405891059
>
> Which makes some sense if there still is a physical separate store.
> And it could be useful, e.g. for someone wanting to lease it.
> But this one should not have the name.
> And it is not really a shop. I think it should somehow be tagged as
> retail space for lease.
> Because maybe it will be leased by a dentist or an accountant.

That is where the was: lifecycle prefix and notes are useful: to prevent
armchair mappers resurrecting something from imagery on the internet.
I've encountered several images on Wikimedia and Geograph of buildings
that no longer serve the purpose shown in the image.  But images aren't
always dated (or not dated correctly) so it may not be possible to
determine if the edit showing the object to be Fred's Shop pre-
or post-dates the image showing it to be a cafe.

--
Paul