[Tagging] Central European insight needed: cukrászda, cukrárna, cukiernia, ciastkarnia, cukráreň, pasticceria, konditorei, patisserie, ...

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Mon Jun 29 15:32:39 UTC 2020

Paul Allen:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 12:02, Jake Edmonds via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org
> <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>
>     While it might be used in Paul’s area, McDonalds is not a cafe where I am from,
>     and would put money on most British people calling it a fast food restaurant
>

> I am surprised that there is anywhere in the world that would glorify a
> McDonalds sit-down area with the term "restaurant."
Me too.
>Candle-lit quarter
> pounders for two?  Would sir like wine with that?

I do expect restaurants to offer wine. Around here at least.
But I have also mapped restaurants in e.g., Jordan and Morocco where you would not
expect restaurants to have wine. Those that do serve wine should be tagged with
drink:wine=served. Something that I do bother about in Europe.

> However, taking another look at the wiki for fast food, I see it covers
> sit down as well as takeaway only.  Which surprised me (never having
> had to map a McD).  For me there is a very, very big distinction between
> a takeaway-only place and somewhere you can sit down to eat.  Counter-only
> service is not a biggie.  Speed of the food is somewhat important but speed
> is a continuous variable, even at a single establishment: I can go to a
> chip shop and, if there's no queue, have my order filled in under a minute;
> or I can go in and they've run out of chips and I have to wait 10 minutes
> while they fry more.  Whether or not I can sit down out of the rain
> matters far more to me.
>
> But we have what we have: a tag that seems specially crafted for McD,
> whether it has seating or not, as opposed to a tag for somewhere with
> no seats at all.

I do not think it is just for McDonalds.
Here in Copenhagen there are some Pizza joints that have a couple of small tables,
and sometimes a few more outside in the summer. They have no service, cutlery,
napkings or anything and are mostly used by customers waiting to pick up a pizza. Put
once in a while you see people eating there.

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen