[Tagging] landuse meadow getting the right description emphases

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 21:14:08 UTC 2020

On 16/3/20 6:01 am, brad wrote:
> On 3/14/20 9:47 PM, Warin wrote:
>> Hi,
>> The present description of landuse=meadow is;
>> An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily vegetated by grass and other non-woody plants, mainly used for hay or grazing.
>> That places the land cover before the land use. The emphases should be on the land use, the land use should be first?
>> Possibly a better description:
>> An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily used to produce hay or for grazing of animals. Usually vegetated by grass and other non-woody plants.
>>

>> I am trying to get mappers not to use this for areas of grass land that could be more appropriatly tagged natural=grassland.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
> I disagree.  Perhaps a regional definition?  I think meadow is the
> land cover, pasture is the land use
> This would match my definition:
> Meadow:  "a field with grass and often wild flowers in it: "
> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/meadow
> or
> https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/meadow
> "A meadow is a field which has grass and flowers growing in it. "
>
> Locally, (Colorado, USA), we might call a grassy area high in the
> mountains an alpine meadow, and it may not have any domesticated
> animals grazing it.

Is that not the tag natural=grassland? The tag natural=grassland is for
a land cover of grass .. I think that is what you want.

The key' landuse' should not be used for land cover, so landuse=meadow
should not be used for any land cover.

The presence of grass is an indication that the land use of grazing or
cropping of hay might, just might take place.