[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Pumps (wells and many other things)

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 00:49:44 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Following several discussions last month, including this one:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-February/051385.html

Here is a proposal regarding pumps, obvious devices we all more or less
know in industries or at home.
This knowledge is useful for water management, water accessibility,
industry moderation, emergency response...
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Pumping_proposal

Classification is based upon Wikipedia community extensive work about 15
different pumping mechanisms. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure some
technologies are still missing in the proposal.

It's currently the most ambitious version, including pump=* conversion for
machine mechanisms and moving driver description to existing actuator=*
Despite a consequent re-tagging effort (on water wells particularly), here
are some pros arguments :
- Use more appropriate terminology and wider possibilities for drivers with
actuator=*
- Avoid pump:type (:type doesn't bring any information)
- With 30k occurrences of pump=* and +100k for water wells, there is still
more wells to qualify than already qualified with pump availability.

Examples are for now incomplete. It would be great to have at least one use
case of each value. Feel free to contribute if you have appropriate
pictures.

Thank in advance for any comment, all the best

François