[Tagging] Ponds are not observable on the ground

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:42:36 UTC 2020

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 13:17, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:

> IMO pond should not be mapped because it is not observable on the ground.
> How do you determine if it is
> "artificially created"/"man made"?

You're asking whether it should be man_made=pond or natural=pond?  It's
neither.

See:

> A pond <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond>: a body of standing water,
> man-made in most cases, that is usually smaller than a lake.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dpond

Oh, you're talking about water=pond after all.  Nothing about
water=pond says man_made or natural, it just says that there is
a pond of water.

As it stands right now in the wiki I suggest we either deprecate the tag
> completely or change the definition to something that is observable on the
> ground.

Finally, after all the misleading stuff you wrote, you get to the point.
You
believe that the definition of a pond says that it is man-made and that
'we're (usually) unable to tell if a pond is natural or man-made.  But the
definition does NOT say ponds are man-made, it says "man-made in
most CASES" which means pond can be man-made or natural.

It might be sensible to make the definition a little more clear, but you've
mainly been arguing against your own misinterpretation of what it
currently says.

--
Paul