[Tagging] Updating definition and description of place=square

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 02:21:07 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 23. Mar 2020, at 23:03, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
>  (seriously, New York
> is not part of New England)

pardon my ignorance ;-)

>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/474864229
>
> does not use sqaure in the name and is not place=square.

it looks like a square on the map and “plaza” seems a synonym for square, or not?

Also this could be a square:
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/39.29345/-76.60253
>
> could be, but it could also just be a bit of grass.

agreed, it doesn’t appear to have a name related to a square.

> That's fine, but the point is not that we have zero things in the US
> that meet the Euro definition of square.  It is that we have many things
> that have square in the name that do not, and therefore that inhabitants
> of the US, or at least New England, do not relate at all to the EURO
> definition of square.
>
> Here is the most well known thing named square in New England (six
> states):
>
>  https://osm.org/go/ZfI4p0cT9--

looks like a square and has the name, which part of the definition does not fit?

> Here's another example of someting with Square in the name that is not a
> place=square
>
> https://osm.org/go/ZfI6Neyh0--

if we are speaking about the big parking triangle, I would see it as a square.

Cheers Martin