[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:30:15 UTC 2020

Am Mi., 25. März 2020 um 10:27 Uhr schrieb Frederik Ramm <
frederik at remote.org>:

> In my opinion, a name:xx tag should only be added if you can demonstrate
> that people natively speaking the living language xx are actually using
> this name for this entity.

There are a few notable exceptions where a name in a "not so much living
anymore" language might be quite useful and undisputed. I am thinking for
example about Latin in Europe, northern Africa and the Middle East here.
Currently we have about 7000 Latin names in the db.

(there are some few instances that are probably disposable, e.g. it is
strange to see latin names in Australia or Latin America
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Ala#map )

* niche constructed languages (say, FredLang which has 2 words I
> invented just now)

* "serious" constructed languages (Esperanto)

I would be against all constructed languages, maybe with an exception of
those that are spoken by more than 100.000 people or who have at least 2
people that speak them as a first language.

> * popular constructed languages (Klingon, Elvish) - note place names in
> these languages will often be algorithmically derived from the English
> or local name

not needed (if you can derive them, we do not have to store them)

> * languages that once existed but are not natively spoken any more (Roman)

see above

> * languages that are natively spoken but their speakers do not have
> their own name for the entity in question (instead they use the same
> name the locals use, possibly transcribed into a different alphabet)

the (old) question is, if you do not repeat the original name, how do you
distinguish situations of missing name and same name hence omitted?

Cheers
Martin