[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 13:08:33 UTC 2020

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 at 10:02, <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:

> Honestly I don't think it makes sense for OSM to have names at all on
> objects which has a Wikidata reference.

Not all mappable objects have a Wikidata reference.  Cities and big towns,
yes.
Villages and hamlets, most but not all.  Even where a wikidata reference
exists,
not all languages are given, even when some are actually used by locals.

I live in Wales.  Wales is multilingual, Welsh and English.  For some
hamlets
and villages there is no English Wikipedia page, just a Welsh one.  The
Wikidata items for Welsh-only Wikipedia pages often have only the Welsh
name.
The road signs have both Welsh and English on them.

Some of the small hamlets don't have a Wikipedia page at all, and no
Wikidata
item either.

There is no Wikidata item for the short street around the corner from me.
Its
road sign says "Heol Napier / Napier Street" (the "/" isn't on the sign, I'm
using it to represent a line break).  If that sign were replaced, it might
instead say "Heol Napier Street."  There are a lot of mappable objects
which don't have Wikidata items yet require names in at least two
languages just to satisfy the people that live there on a permanent
basis.

We can't rely on Wikidata in multilingual localities.

--
Paul