[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Mar 25 14:48:03 UTC 2020

Mar 25, 2020, 10:26 by frederik at remote.org:

> A while ago we had a longer discussion about Esperanto names; in that
> discussion, it was questioned whether Esperanto could be in the name tag
> but nobody disputed that adding name:eo tags is ok, even though
> Esperanto is an invented (or "constructed") language.

It is actually used as language by some.

> Yesterday someone added a few dozen Klingon names to countries in OSM. I
> have reverted that because of a copyright issue, but I think we also
> need to discuss which languages we want to accept for name:xx tags.

Klingon is actually not used for communication.
Some people may "use" it like Sindarin, but it is not "real" use.
(hard to define it properly, but I expect that it is a consensus perception
of situation)

> In my opinion, a name:xx tag should only be added if you can demonstrate
> that people natively speaking the living language xx are actually using
> this name for this entity.

Makes sense to me.

> The country North Macedonia changed its name
> almost one year ago, yet roughly half of its ~ 170 name tags are still
> what they were before this change. Nobody cares; these names suggest a
> data richness that is not backed up by an actual living community that
> cares for them.

Note that changing official name of the country does not mean that
primary name used by people using other languages changed.

I think that it would in case of my language
official_name:pl=Macedonia Północna
name:pl=Macedonia

> What are your opinions on which languages should be accepted in name
> tags? What do you think about
>
> * niche constructed languages (say, FredLang which has 2 words I
> invented just now)

Obviously no, I would delete it if spotted (via deleting all
name:fredlang tags or whatever else tag was used).

> * popular constructed languages (Klingon, Elvish) - note place names in
> these languages will often be algorithmically derived from the English
> or local name

Obviously no, I would delete it if spotted (via deleting all
name:sindarin tags or whatever tag was used).

> * "serious" constructed languages (Esperanto)

Yes (?)

> * languages that once existed but are not natively spoken any more (Roman)

No (?)

> * languages that are natively spoken but their speakers do not have
> their own name for the entity in question (instead they use the same
> name the locals use, possibly transcribed into a different alphabet)

I would be OK with that. But I know that many are opposed
to adding transcribed names.