[Tagging] Which languages are admissible for name:xx tags?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 03:05:30 UTC 2020

On 25/3/20 8:26 pm, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the "name:xx" tags are something of an exception in OSM because while we
> defer to "local knowledge" as the highest-ranking source normally, this
> is not being done for name:xx tags. It is possible for no single citizen
> of the city of Karlsruhe to know its Russian name, but still a Russian
> name could exist. Who is the highest-ranking source for that?
>
> My guess is that about 5% of name:xx tags in OSM actually represent a
> unique name in its own right; all others are either copies of the name
> tag ("this city does not have its own name in language XX but I want
> every city to have a name:xx tag so I'll just copy the name tag"), or
> transliterations (or, worst case, even literal translations).
>

> Or if you don't have the time to think about this in detail, just answer
> the question: tlhIngan Hol - Hlja' or ghobe'?
>
> Bye
> Frederik

I would think that a default should be used - where the required
language name is not within OSM then the local language name should be
used. This should stop the copying of the local language name into other
languages and reduce data bloat. Only when the name is different from
the local name should another name:xx be used, particularly where a
differentalphabet/symbols are used.

However, a sample case?

The name Uluru isYankunytjatjara, but probably shared with 5 other local languages. So
those language tags would all be the same value.

The 'old' name is Ayres Rock, English language.

There are many people that come there from overseas who speak other
languages, having their name in those languages may help them.

Common languages heard around Ayres Rock or Uluru are English, German,
Japanese, Chinese, French and some dialect of the Western Desert Language.

The peak is node 2251425855,
the rock itself is way 32639987,
the park is relation 8314513.

Some tags used at present are;

alt_name 	Ayers Rock
alt_name:cs 	Ayersova skála
alt_name:en 	Ayers Rock
name 	Uluṟu
name:cs 	Uluru
name:en 	Uluru
name:pjt 	Uluṟu
name:ru 	Улуру

I would drop the tags name:en, name:cs, alt_name:en as they duplicate the name/alt_name.

I would keep the tags name:ru and alt_name:cs as they are different from the 'normal' value.

I would also keep name:pjt as that is the source of the name and different from the official language of the Country.