[Tagging] Veterinary pharmacy

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 13:39:47 UTC 2020

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 09:47, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/3/20 7:51 pm, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
> sent from a phone
>
> On 28. Mar 2020, at 08:31, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>
> <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> veterinary medical supplies, how to choose what amenity?
>
> <#m_-6572554985251167290_>
>
> On 28/3/20 6:12 pm, Francesco Ansanelli wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> I have a question about this tag:
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dveterinary_pharmacy
>

> It's not much adopted and in unknown status. Should we use it?
>
> Some pharmacies also sells veterinary medical supplies, how to choose what
> amenity?
>

> Map both as separate nodes.
>

> but it’s the same shop.
>

> Different OSM features.

Really?  I suppose there might be such a place, with different shop
counters,
different staff, different back rooms full of medicines, etc., but I'd
expect
it to be a normal pharmacy that also carries some veterinary medicines.
There are 3 pharmacies in my town and one vet (there used to be two
vets; there's another pharmacy being set up).  None of the pharmacies
have a separate counter for veterinary medicines but I know that at
least one of them dispenses them because my next-door-neighbout
with three dogs and two cats gets them from somewhere, and she's
not travelling to either of the two cities over 30 miles away to get
them.

In a really big city I suppose there could be a veterinary-only pharmacy.
So we may need amenity=veterinary_pharmacy for rare cases but
for most instances we'll need something that goes along with
amenity=pharmacy (and/or healthcare=pharmacy) to indicate
it also handles veterinary medicines.

--
Paul