[Tagging] Tag:amenity=motorcycle_taxi not approved

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:29:37 UTC 2020

> (especially those approved after, say, 2012)

The proposal process became more difficult after March 2015, when the
standard for approval was changed from >50% to >74%:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposal_process&type=revision&diff=1150734&oldid=1143140

This has been helpful in preventing bad ideas from being approved without
consensus.

But it has made it more likely that a proposal will not be approved, even
though the majority accepts it.

--Joseph Eisenberg

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 3:21 PM Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 09:05, s8evq <s8evqq at runbox.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 May 2020 08:43:27 -0400, Jarek PiĆ³rkowski <jarek at piorkowski.ca>
wrote:
> > > How much discussion do you think should be necessary before voting "I
> > > oppose, because I think using sub-tags is better"? If someone thinks
> > > that, they think that. A discussion would just print the arguments
> > > back and forth.
> >
> > If these arguments were given beforehand, perhaps the proposal could
have changed, or opinions could have been changed?

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-February/051250.html

> Subsequent discussion here is an example of what happened. Some
> people, _after having read the rationale offered_, think that a
> separate tag is not warranted. Some people think that it is. You won't
> win an argument by telling others they're wrong.
>
> > I hardly have any experience in proposals and the voting system. But
I've seen 3 proposal so far, where I know the author doesn't want to bring
it to vote, fearing the proposal would be rejected. The rationale behind
it: status Rejected is worse than having the proposal in the "Draft" state
forever.

> > And then some people in this very thread suggest to just ignore a
rejection and start using it anyway. What's the use of the whole voting
system then? Why even bother writing a proposal in the first place? I'll
just do whatever.