[Tagging] Change of wiki page Key:access

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sun May 24 22:43:01 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 11:42:09PM +0200, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> [...]

This follows HUGE changes to that article currently discussed on talk at osm
which introduced a ton of issues.

> To view this change, see
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:access&diff=next&oldid=1994688
> -----
> In my country (Italy) there are literally thousands of ways where it is
> most likely legal to pass by bicycle, but there is no (practical) way of
> finding out.
> Essentially two classes:
>
>    - plenty of ways that look from the layout like combined foot-cycle
>    paths but have  no signage at all
>    - plenty of service roads which show the "no transit for any vehicle"
>    sign <https://images.app.goo.gl/Uh6yNJ5V646TMrWw7>, but in reality you
>    can happily pass with your bicycle and no policeman will ever say anything,
>    or even know that "no vehicle" legally includes "no bicycle", There are
>    plenty of cases where even signposted cycle routes follow such roads.
>
> I am consistently using bicycle=permissive in these cases, well being aware
> that I do not know of he owner has given permission. Basically any
> cycle-routing would come to a halt without this trick.
>
> The strict wording introduced by Florian is simply not practically
> applicable here.
> My questions are:
> Is Italy the only country with this problem?
> Is there any better proposal for tagging the situation "from all I can see
> on the ground, you are allowed ride through with your bicycle"

But from the point of expectation. Could a OSM User expect the
tagging in OSM to be legally perfect? I suggest we as OSM would
not send people through roads we are not shure are legally usable.

And if you are unshure if a cyclist is allowed to go there shouldnt
you avoid sending others there? At least if you are in serious doubt.

Flo