[Tagging] Change of wiki page Key:access

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue May 26 16:58:33 UTC 2020

May 26, 2020, 17:20 by f at zz.de:

> On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:10:17AM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

>> sent from a phone
>>
>> > On 25. May 2020, at 20:37, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > i'd expect OSM
>> > offering me a conflict free (in legal and physical terms) route based
>> > on the tags it finds.
>> >
>> > This is especially true for transit e.g. traversing something. This is
>> > pretty inline with my in-car-nav (Mercedes E Class). It will not send
>> > you where you are not allowed to go.
>>
>> You must acknowledge that (supposedly) most countries are not applying
>> traffic rules the way Germans do, particularly when it is about
>> bicycles and not about motor vehicles. Car navigation is in no way
>> comparable to bicycle navigation, and not only because as a cyclists
>> you can become a pedestrian any time you want by dismounting and
>> pushing, but also because bicycles may not be considered “real”
>> traffic by the police.
>>

> But still - Are we going to send people where we are in doubt they are
> legal to go? I guess anyone will answer no

Not always. In some countries access law, traffic and enforcement matches.

In some you may have situation closer to

(1) law says "bicycles are illegal to drive"
(2) law is ignored by everyone

In such cases bicycle router showing "it is illegal to drive bicycle here anywhere"
would be useless, and people would want one matching reality.

The question is whatever such de facto status
- can be recorded in OSM
- should it be recorder (ab)using standard access tags
- if recording it is OK but access/bicycle/etc should be kept for legal
  status then we need new tags (bicycle:de_facto, bicycle:de_iure ?)

> My intention is to remove as much interpretation, fiction, feelings
> from the access tag creation as possible.

A good idea.

> For me there does not need to be a restriction if there is no clear
> intention visible - And that should be the case for most countries.

? sometimes intention is unclear ("I hate anyone driving here"
is likely untrue), but signs are clear

> [bicycle|foot|car|hgv|...]=no/private/permissive/...
>
> is always a matter of signage as you are restricting from the
> defaults

No only signs - there are also gates or physically blocked access
in some other way. Or permanently placed police/guards.