[Tagging] Change of wiki page Key:access

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Mon May 25 11:38:57 UTC 2020

I have encounter this issue many times : reality vs traffic sign.
No vehicle acces to the wood in Paris, except that cyclist go there and
that normal.
A living street sign on a transit road.
Etc.

I would like to be able to tag separately the sign/law and the 'on the
ground' reality.

For the default I'd say tag the reality if there almost no change to be
blamed for violating the sign.

So for me the new tag would be
motor_vehicle=no
bicycle:dejure=no

Or if there is a little change to be blamed, bicycle:defacto=yes is nice
too.

Could work also for highway :
highway=tertiary
highway:dejure=living_street

Le lun. 25 mai 2020 à 00:30, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> a écrit :

> May 24, 2020, 23:42 by voschix at gmail.com:
>
> The strict wording introduced by Florian is simply not practically
> applicable here.
> My questions are:
> Is Italy the only country with this problem?
>
> Poland used to be similar, though police sometimes setup trap where they
> were fining people -
> in sudden campaigns with several traps appearing for several hours every
> few months.
>
> Favorite traps included cycleways crossing roads, where cyclists were
> obligated by law to dismount
> due to missing cyclist crossings.
> Some routes had such crossing every 200 - 250m, nobody was following that
> law.
>
> I was tagging legal status, and had some discussions with other mappers
> whatever it is desirable to do it this way.
>
> Currently most of missing cyclist crossings are added[1], signs (for
> example in forests)
> more commonly explicitly allow bicycles, oneway:bicycle=no is becoming
> more common
> at least in some cities...
>
> [1] It turned out that blocker was completely idiotic law requiring
> pedestrian + cyclist crossings
> to be at least 7 m wide, for smaller ones including cyclist crossing was
> against rules.
>
> Is there any better proposal for tagging the situation "from all I can see
> on the ground, you are allowed ride through with your bicycle"
>
> Not sure what I would do in cases where access law as written and access
> law as executed
> would completely diverge.
>
> Setup new tags specially to allow to tag both verifiable legal status and
> verifiable
> de facto status?
>
> bicycle=no
> bicycle:de_facto=permissive
>
> (even bicycle=permissive, bicycle:ignored_law=no would be an improvement
> over
> current state of not tagging legal status)
>
> It is out of OSM scope but I also had some successes with requests to add
> missing
> "except bicycles" under various traffic signs (on average in last years -
> about one added every month),
> in some cases it was simpler than inventing fitting tagging scheme for
> really absurd cases.

Florimond Berthoux