[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity=*

Lukas Richert lrichert at posteo.de
Tue Nov 3 13:08:46 UTC 2020

Hi,

While the original proposal did specify that generators are usually
diesel, broadening the definition would only lead to a loss of detail,
but the tagging would still be correct. I'm hesitant to use *offgrid* as
a building that has, for example, a grid connection with solar panels on
the roof would then be tagged as *electricity=grid;offgrid* instead of
*electricity=grid;generator*. The former is illogical.

However, I don't have any experience in developing countries: is it
easier to verify if something is off-grid compared to if it is connected
to a generator? And, would it be necessary to differentiate between
local grids (i.e. 2-3 generators, no substations, transfromers, etc.)
and national grids? Perhaps then a network tag would be useful, i.e.
network=national, local, regional similar to the way cycle networks are
mapped?

A further suggestion was to change the tagging
to***electricity:grid=yes/no/backup* and/or
*electricity:generator=yes/no/backup*. This might be less ambiguous for
tagging amenities or buildings that get electricity from both sources
and would then be more consistent with tagging such as
*electricity:generator:origin=diesel* when, e.g. a building has a backup
diesel generator but is connected to the grid. Unfortunately, it would
then not be consistent with the use by the Healthsites Mapping Project,
although this already has the inconsistent *electricity=none* tag which
should probably be changed directly to *electricity=no.*

Cheers, Lukas