[Tagging] How to tag a threshing floor

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 12:53:24 UTC 2020

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 at 09:09, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Do., 5. Nov. 2020 um 13:59 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:
>
>> This may be a losing battle but I'll point out (once again) that historic
>> is not
>> a synonym for old, disused or repurposed.
>>

> I agree, the word "historic" isn't always a synonymon for old , but the
> things that we tag in "historic=*" are not necessarily "historic" in this
> strict sense, they are objects of certain types that are generally seen to
> fit well under the "historic" umbrella.

The wiki page gives guidelines as to what counts as historic.

> We do not distinguish "truly historic" wayshrines from "ordinary"
> wayshrines.

We currently do not make the distinction because we lack the tagging to
do so.  That is not an argument for not making a distinction.

> It is for objects that are of
>> historic interest
>>

> in the past century the focus of historians has widened, today there are
> many of them who are interested in the general conditions and circumstances
> of the society, much more than looking only at single impactful events or
> acting persons.

If we open the scope that widely then we include everything, which is not
useful.

Anything can become of historic interest, it depends how you integrate it
> in the tale ;-)

Here are some of the criteria I use:

1) Is there a plaque?  The plaque itself is historic=memorial, even if
it was installed yesterday.  The POI the plaque refers to may also
count as historic=*.

2) Is the POI in guidebooks or tourist information as being where a
significant historic event took place?

3) Many old fortifications, such as castles.

Those aren't comprehensive rules.  I might map something that doesn't
fit them.  I might not map something that does fit them.  They're just
the rules of thumb I apply.

- not just old (how old is old, anyway?) but which are
> in some way historically noteworthy.
>

> A threshing floor where a
>> general planned a decisive battle might be of historic interest, an
>> old threshing floor where nothing ever happened but threshing probably
>> isn't.
>>

> it will be a testimony of historic agrarian production processes and
> conditions, in any case.

As has since been revealed, these threshing floors are protected by a
heritage
organization for that reason.  They aren't historic, though, not unless
something
significant happened there.  The toilet in my house is around 15 years old
and
is a testimony to my bowel movements, but I do not consider it historic.
The
toilet Elvis died on, however...

> To me it doesn't make sense to draw a line, dividing the same objects
> having more or less historic value. If there is something to distinguish at
> all, my suggestion would be to add a qualifier to those objects of
> exceptional historical value (if this is verifiable).

We have a way of tagging objects of exceptional historical value, it's
historic=*.  Objects of unexceptional historical value, or of no historical
value do not get tagged with historic=*.  That's because historic is
not a synonym (in the real world or in tagging) for old, disused or
repurposed.

--
Paul