[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Rideshare Access

Clare Corthell clare at lyft.com
Sat Nov 7 01:00:40 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Thanks for the discussion. Lately the open questions center on formulating
tags for pickup/dropoff points or areas as opposed to roads. Some of the
latest:
- How should a designated curb location be indicated for rideshare access?
How might this apply to a point or area (eg parking lot
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/366754575#map=19/-33.93330/151.18194&layers=N>
)?
- How might designations for specific companies be indicated? (eg Uber
pickup location differing from Lyft pickup location)
- How might access for pickup only, dropoff only, or both be indicated? Do
existing access values satisfy these? Is a tag indicating pickup/dropoff
zone/point needed?
- How would an exclusive road for rideshare be tagged,
"rideshare=yes"+"access=no" or "rideshare=designated"+"access=no"?
- Is there a more common term for uber/grab/lyft/yandex/etc than
"rideshare"?

Please add to this summary or join in. Open to starting the voting process
~Nov 12, we could push back again if this begs further discussion.

Clare

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wouldn't do that because then logically you have two features, but in
> this case they are one in the same, it's a rideshare pickup parking lot, as
> opposed to a on-street section designated for rideshare pickup/dropoff.
>
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 09:38, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>
>> While I would try to avoid it, you can naturally simply duplicate the
>> geometry (and you don't even need to duplicate the nodes to do that).
>> Am 04.11.2020 um 22:26 schrieb Andrew Harvey:
>>

>> On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 20:10, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 07:26 +1100, Andrew Harvey wrote:
>>>

>>> On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 23:14, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't seem to have a tagging currently for dedicated pickup locations
>>> in this kind of context, bus stops etc are naturally taggable), if
>>> considered really useful I don't see why we couldn't introduce a
>>> amenity=...pickup... tag.
>>>

>>> But if such a dedicated pickup location is a carpark then it needs
>>> amenity=parking, so it can't fit into the amenity key.
>>>

>>> A pickup point will be a node within a car park area.
>>>
>>> Its is already common to add amenity=bicycle_parking nodes within
>>> amenity=car_park areas.
>>>

>> Why would it be a node within a car park? For example
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/366754575 is the designated airport
>> Uber, etc. pickup location, not some point inside the car park, but the
>> whole car park itself.

Clare Corthell
Product Manager, Lyft Mapping
*How Lyft Creates Hyper-Accurate Maps from Open-Source Maps and Real-Time
Data
<https://eng.lyft.com/how-lyft-creates-hyper-accurate-maps-from-open-source-maps-and-real-time-data-8dcf9abdd46a>*