[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Rideshare Access

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Wed Nov 11 15:13:08 UTC 2020

Regarding the private_hire, I’m not so sure. We indeed you English spelling for tags (colour, neighbourhood), and that’s okay since it’s consistent. But when instead of just spelling we use a UK-specific legal term, it might be not understood. For example, see village_green.

My point is that anywhere except UK, “ride-sharing” is the term for Uber, Lyft, Bolt, and such. While researching, I’ve found road signs and articles using “Ride Share” or “ride-sharing” in the US, Australia, and Russia.

Even in UK, "ride-sharing" is a common term when addressing these companies, e.g. on the BBC and Evening Standard websites. It can be found much more often than "private hire”.

On the other hand, in London drivers of these cars need to have “private hire” licenses. We’re discussing access restriction, and these are for cars/drivers, not for companies. In London specifically this term might be more correct. In any other place the probability of finding a “ride share vehicles” restriction is higher than for “private hire vehicles”.

So when I see rideshare=designated, as a person living outside England, I can immediately understand what that means. For private_hire I would need to refer to wikipedia or google the term. Wikipedia, of course, uses “Ride-sharing” for these companies as well, and not once mentions “private hire” in the article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridesharing_company <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridesharing_company>

My vote is for “rideshare”, although I’m not invested in any of the terms, provided we agree on something and then can map access restrictions that have been on the ground for years.

Ilya