[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Rideshare Access

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 18:59:59 UTC 2020

Am Mi., 11. Nov. 2020 um 16:16 Uhr schrieb Ilya Zverev <ilya at zverev.info>:

> My point is that anywhere except UK, “ride-sharing” is the term for Uber,
> Lyft, Bolt, and such. While researching, I’ve found road signs and articles
> using “Ride Share” or “ride-sharing” in the US, Australia, and Russia.

I am not convinced. In Germany, there clearly is a distinction between ride
sharing ("Mitfahrzentrale" and others, "I am going somewhere anyway and
share petrol costs with other people I can take on the free seats in my
car") and companies like Uber etc. which are considered
"Personenbeförderung" ("I sort of work informally for a company which
weasels around taxi and employment legislation by trying to make their
business look as if it was about ride sharing").

> Even in UK, "ride-sharing" is a common term when addressing these
> companies, e.g. on the BBC and Evening Standard websites. It can be found
> much more often than "private hire”.

It is a term that these companies use themselves because it has a positive
image, and someone picks it up. I do not say it cannot be understood, my
point is we should not use it, because it devaluates the term.

> On the other hand, in London drivers of these cars need to have “private
> hire” licenses. We’re discussing access restriction, and these are for
> cars/drivers, not for companies. In London specifically this term might be
> more correct. In any other place the probability of finding a “ride share
> vehicles” restriction is higher than for “private hire vehicles”.

there are no restrictions for true ride sharing. These are cars like any
other cars, and ordinary drivers who can go anywhere where any other driver
can go (almost, actually they will have an advantage von heavy occupancy
lanes).

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridesharing_company

yeah, the English wikipedia is quite dominated by the North American point
of view. I am a bit astonished that the page is only available in 6
languages. which could hint that there is some problem with it, for example
there is also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpool which is available in
32 languages.

Cheers
Martin