[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:shelter_type=rock_shelter

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 22:45:56 UTC 2020

Am Fr., 4. Sept. 2020 um 22:21 Uhr schrieb Tom Pfeifer <
t.pfeifer at computer.org>:

> On 04.09.2020 18:19, Jmapb via Tagging wrote:
> >>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:shelter_type%3Drock_shelter
> >>

> > I'd suggest natural=rock_shelter as a replacement tag.
>
> +1 for going into the natural key
> My expectations to amenity=shelter would be something purpose-built,
> which is true for all subtypes except that rock_shelter

amenity=shelter is not about being purpose-built but about something being
used for a purpose.
I would not use the natural key with a value like "shelter" or
"rock_shelter", as this is about the purpose, a specific use of the
situation, and not a description of the physical situation.
>From the point of view of shelter tagging, shelter_type=rock_shelter seems
a valid approach and I would go for it.

You could still double tag it with natural=cliff_overhang (or whatever
describes the feature) if you like.

Cheers
Martin