[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity:source

Lukas Richert lrichert at posteo.de
Wed Sep 30 10:40:10 UTC 2020

Yes, I've seen exactly such signage on a number of charging stations in
my area. I did consider the generator:source-type tagging as well, and
pretty much took the possible values from there (plus adding the general
'renewable' tag), however this is something that many different types of
amenities advertise, like camp_sites, farms, harbours, etc. Therefore,
my question is if it would be reasonable to also use as a tag for, e.g.
buildings that are available to the public and use lighting from
renewable sources.

Furthermore, there doesn't yet seem to be a great standard for mapping
when electricity is available to the public - at least, I couldn't find
appropriate tags via the camp_site wikipages. Closest seems to be
power_supply <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:power_supply>
(still in draft mode, but used some), however this seems to be meant
more for individual sockets and it wouldn't fit well with tagging
buildings that are simply powered by a specific type of energy. Also,
the tag 'electricity' is being used to map if buildings are on- or
off-grid (see also geographical distribution of the tags), so
electricity:source might fit a bit better than power_supply:source,
however both tags are not actually approved yet.

Perhaps we should try to combine the electricity draft and the
electricity:source draft to finally be able to map publically
used/available electricity? This seems to be, overall, a feature sorely
lacking in OSM even though most people use it every day. I think it
would be important to clarify which terminology is officially in use.

[Perhaps make electricity have the possible values grid or generator,
and then use the tags generator:source and grid:source to further
specify? This might be a problem for electricity=yes ->
yes:source=renewable doesn't make sense, but it might not be possible
for the mapper to verify if there is clear signage of '100% renwable
energy' but the source is not clear ]