[Tagging] railway=preserved vs. railway:preserved=yes

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Mon Apr 5 07:42:22 UTC 2021

On 05-04-2021 08:35, Kai Michael Poppe - OSM wrote:
> The sections says this: "As of mid-2019, railway=preserved is still
> twice as common as railway:preserved=*, but the latter tag is increasing
> faster." - well now in 2021 railway:preserved=yes overtook
> railway=preserved (~9k vs. ~8k usages) and I was wondering whether it
> would be in order to re-word that section to be a little more direct
> about railway:preserved being the favourite way of tagging heritage
> railways.

The reasons for not using railway=preserved make sense (being able to
use other railway-types as well as marking the line as 'preserved'), and
you are right about the numbers having clearly tipped in favour of
railway:preserved=yes.

I think it is safe to reword the text on both pages that talks about the
number of uses to indicate that railway:preserved=yes is the preferred
method of tagging.

Judging from the chronology it even looks like there may be some form of
community consensus on this by now and that railway=preserved might do
with a stronger 'use is discouraged' type of message:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=railway&value=preserved#chronology