[Tagging] clubb= dove or pigeons or pigeon_fanciers or pigeon_racing or pigeon_fancying

Jerry Clough Sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 13:24:35 UTC 2021

The dove/pigeon split is not  directly related to species, although I
suspect that you are right in that smaller members of the family are
more likely to be referred to as doves. The common Feral Pigeon (from
which racing pigeons & other fancy breeds (e.g., fantails) derive) is
considered part of the species /Columba livia/. The truly wild
representatives of the same species (found in a few places in W. Britain
& Ireland) are called Rock Doves. Stock Doves can be hard to distinguish
from Wood Pigeons when the latter's white neck patch is not visible,
although the former are slightly smaller.

Agree with other comments regarding terminology (pigeon_loft for racing
birds, dovecote otherwise - and much of the usage will relate to
historical structures.)

Jerry