[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:23:05 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 5:45 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> “A trail, path, or other way that is not intended for motor vehicles. See
> highway=path and highway=pedestrian”
>
> rather than pedestrian, I would list footway, cycleway and bridleway here.
> Pedestrian streets are typically intended for motor vehicles at specific
> times and for specific purposes, while most of the time access for motor
> vehicles is restricted.

Originally I only included highway=path here.  I added highway=pedestrian
because it was mentioned as sometimes being mis-tagged as track in rural
areas.  I'm not sure how important mentioning it is though. I've thought
about including footway, cycleway, and bridleway as well but I think it's
best to keep the page as focused as possible on highway=track rather than
all the alternatives.  I find linking to only the highway=path page a good
option here since that page mentions footway, cycleway, and bridleway early
on: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath

> 2. For access to leisure related features like camping sites I have always
> used service or higher, and not track, not sure they make a good example
> for track.

I would also use highway=service or higher rather than highway=track for
roads accessing leisure features like camping sites.  This is the only
section on the page mentioning camping.

Track roads may also access minor structures on the land such as hunting
> cabins, fire lookouts, agricultural service buildings, or camping shelters.
> As long as the primary purpose of the road is land access, highway=track is
> appropriate.

The intent of the passage above is not to say that highway=track should be
used for any road accessing these sorts of minor structures.  Instead it is
meant to communicate that the presence of a few minor structures in a
large, otherwise open area of land does not disqualify a road from being
highway=track because its primary purpose is still land access.  I feel
this is an important distinction.  Here is the similar section from the
current wiki page (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack):

There may be structures used as hunting cabins, fire lookouts, agricultural