[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of =?utf-8?Q?highway=3Dtrack_?=wiki page - Third Draft

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Apr 7 06:29:27 UTC 2021

Zeke Farwell wrote:
> Here is the latest draft.  Please let me know what you think.

This is generally pretty good - well done.

I agree with Martin that =footway, =cycleway and =bridleway should be mentioned in preference to =pedestrian. These tags are standard tagging for many multi-use trails. highway=path is problematic as a bare tag because you can't infer meaning for access or quality.

In the 'Access' section, I'd upgrade "adding explicit access tags is helpful" to "...is strongly recommended". Again, highway=track without access tags is problematic and there have been very many cases where renderers/routers have unwittingly directed people across private land, sometimes ending up with landowner complaints to the DWG. You point to the "country-specific restrictions" page, but in fact this omits highway=track for many countries (such as the UK and USA).

Richard