[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 13:39:35 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:26 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Apr 7, 2021, 14:41 by zelonewolf at gmail.com:
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:59 AM Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
>
> You could write something like: Roads that primarily serve as access to
> the land itself and as such are further characterized by low use frequency
> and don't practically serve a regular connectivity role in the regular road
> network.
>

> This is an improvement, but I think it's still too verbose.  I would say:
>
> Low-usage land access roads
>
> This is not really working. There are highway=track with heavy traffic.
> With high number of passages of logging trucks every day,
> at least during logging season.
> There are highway=service service=driveway
> not used even once for months or years.

If access roads to a forestry area are heavily used at the moment, because
a specific area is being harvested at that moment, these are still
low-usage roads when considered over a general timespan.

If you are talking about arterial roads that are used to access a larger
network of access roads to forestry areas, and are used continuously to
access different logging spots, this is now a road network and these are
functionally not track roads -- these are roads used to access other roads,
and thus are better tagged as unclassified or perhaps you could argue
service.

The point about driveways is irrelevant here, as driveways are a distinct
class of road separate land access roads.