[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Wed Apr 7 23:40:39 UTC 2021

I agree with the encouragement to include explicit access= tags when
appropriate knowledge is available; even within a geographic area, the
history and current status of a particular track can both affect access
levels, and it's pretty common for signage to be minimal, misleading, or
simply not present.

The only other caveat I'd bring up is with the "not a track" bullet for "A
trail, path, or other way that is not intended for motor vehicles"; I don't
know if "not used for motor vehicles by the public" or something similar
might be a little better. I'm thinking in particular of a lot of the old
woods roads in New England that are occasionally (and legally) traveled by
4WD vehicles or dual-sport motorcycles, but which are now more commonly
used for dog walking and mountain biking, but that may be a tight enough
use case that the local community will be able to handle it.

Otherwise, I'll echo the thanks for the work on this. The usage of the tag
is diverse, and trying to identify the various meanings and provide helpful
guidance so we end up with better data down the road is much appreciated.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 11:20 AM Zeke Farwell <ezekielf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:32 AM Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>
> wrote:
>
>> In the 'Access' section, I'd upgrade "adding explicit access tags is
>> helpful" to "...is strongly recommended".
>>

> I prefer stronger language here as well.  In the first draft the 'Access'
> section led off with "Explicit access=* tags are recommended...".  I
> received feedback that this language was too strong and would encourage
> mappers to add fictional access tags.   I think I have overcorrected
> though.  As the sentence now starts with "If you have local knowledge or
> can do a survey to obtain ground truth, ..."  there should be no issue
> finishing with the stronger phrase "... adding explicit access tags is
> strongly recommended."

Kevin Broderick
ktb at kevinbroderick.com