[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Fri Apr 9 12:59:42 UTC 2021

> I did not understand whether you consider the formation of priests
> "religious purposes" or not.

Depends on whether it is an actual amenity=university or amenity=college
or not. If the latter, it is probably landuse=education (implied by
those amenities or expressly stated).

> what has it to do with a "church compound"? And how can I understand
> if it is part of the "compound"? For example here: someone has
> created a relation for facilities that belong to the holy see (but
> are not part of the vatican):
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6474878
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6474878> shall these get the
> landuse=religious? shall the territory of the Vatican get it? Is the
> railway=station of the Vatican there for religious purposes (arguably
> yes)?
>
> why not? Isn't the reason the church has set up a hospital that they
> do it for religious purposes?
>
> if I understand you correctly, you are equating "religious purposes"
> to worshipping?

I think you may be taking the reach of landuse=religious too broad.
The wiki documentation helps here:

> landuse=religious is specifically meant for the area used by a
> religious facility and it's [sic] supporting or directly related amenities
> used for practicing the religion - not merely land that happens to be
> owned by a religious entity.

The latter part directly addresses a few of the examples you are
offering. So no, having a religious signature (a hospital with a
Catholic background, train station in the Vatican) does not make it
landuse=religious. This is mainly about the grounds surrounding places
of worship.