[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 16:25:21 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 9. Apr. 2021 um 15:03 Uhr schrieb Jeroen Hoek <mail at jeroenhoek.nl>:

> I think you may be taking the reach of landuse=religious too broad.
> The wiki documentation helps here:
>
> > landuse=religious is specifically meant for the area used by a
> > religious facility and it's [sic] supporting or directly related
> amenities
> > used for practicing the religion - not merely land that happens to be
> > owned by a religious entity.
>
> The latter part directly addresses a few of the examples you are
> offering. So no, having a religious signature (a hospital with a
> Catholic background, train station in the Vatican) does not make it
> landuse=religious.

the train station in the Vatican is not just a train station that happens
to be in the Vatican, it is a dead end and rarely used, the original
intention was to use it for state receptions. It is not used a lot,
sometimes the pope has used it in the past when he departed, otherwise it
is only used for other special trains (pilgrimage).

> This is mainly about the grounds surrounding places
> of worship.

this is already covered by amenity=place_of_worship and can be
distinguished from the building as any other tag (building=church, chapel,
cathedral, etc. vs. amenity). IMHO, if the parking can be "religious
landuse", the Vatican radio station, train station, general administration,
etc. can also be seen as religious.

What would be more required than a landuse tag would be a property to state
that a place is the "seat" of something, or a seat (e.g. headquarters for
Belgium, or for Europe, or globally), to be added for companies, but maybe
also other kind of institutions, a qualifier to distinguish the more
important places.

Cheers,
Martin