[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC -mass rock

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:26:07 UTC 2021

I am completely against mapping something that is not verifiable or
historical (disputed or not as being historic).

With verifiable I mean with local knowledge and some sign of ground truth.
The presence of the rock itself does not signify that it was used for
this purpose. The (historic) mass aspect is a use case.  So if there is
no inscriptions or some kind of permanent marking that it was used for
this purpose in the past I would not map it in the regular OSM, it
belongs in https://www.openhistoricalmap.org
<https://www.openhistoricalmap.org>.
If we would start mapping these use cases we should ask ourselves where
this is going to take us ? What more use cases are we going to map which
solely exist in the minds or literature.  It doesn't make much sense in
mapping the real world, only clutter the map.

In case their is some physical trace of usage of the rock for this
purpose, I would support it and it would be justified. However minor or
vague it is, but it needs to be a combination of both verifiable as in
local knowledge as some evidence of the use (not the physical natural
feature as the existence of the rock).

Greetings,

Bert Araali

Should be mapped on historic.osm .