[Tagging] Colocated school/churchgrounds (was Re: multiple schools on one plot)

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Apr 10 19:07:04 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 01:24 2021-04-09, Jeroen Hoek đã viết:
> The questions I would ask when encountering a school and a place of
> worship on one terrain is whether these really aren't two plots after
> all, and if not, whether this is (for example) a school which happens to
> have something like a chapel, or a church which provides a school as
> well, and choose the one that is the most prominent.
>
> Do you have an example we can look at?

Over the years, I've dithered a lot over this issue, so pardon my
inconsistent tagging that I'm about to highlight...

Here are a few examples where I used amenity=school twice:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/270299770
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/928940583
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/121032409

Here I used landuse=religious but, on second thought, would retag as
amenity=school: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/30881509 . An argument
could be made for either the church or the school being more prominent.
It might depend which side of the road you're coming from, whether you
care that there are more church-related buildings or that
school-specific infrastructure occupies more of the land.

School buildings and church buildings are scattered about this campus:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/102711473 . I placed the
amenity=school POI over the largest school building, but there's another
school building on the other side of the parish hall.

Here I mapped a church as being located within a college campus:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/52604001 . I didn't think too hard
about this one but, on second thought, probably would've mapped a
separate amenity=school somewhere on the side of the campus that has the
school buildings.

There are multiple schools on the grounds of this monastery and I
managed to figure out which parts of the monastery grounds are for the
schools: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/411173276 . I've been unable
to map the individual schools within the campus without a field survey.

This is an all-in-one everything religious campus, featuring a church,
two schools, a seminary, and a publishing house:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/572733272 . The standard elementary
school elements are there, but I could be convinced to retag it as
landuse=religious because the church and seminary are probably more
widely known.

This school and church share the grounds but the two are otherwise
unaffiliated: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/80629757 . The
non-religious school moved in after the parochial school closed.

The church on this campus doesn't at all detract from the fact that it's
a university campus: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/157782093 .

This is clearly a churchground:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/928949387 . There's a
religious/language school around back but only parishioners and
residents would notice it.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us