[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 14 08:12:11 UTC 2021

Apr 14, 2021, 08:57 by sfkeller at gmail.com:

>> So you want to use railway=rail;preserved ?
>>

> For example.
>
>> > Coming back to the proposal: Deprecating railway=preserved strenghtens the use of railway:preserved=yes
>>  And that is why I am supporting it.
>>

> "railway:preserved=yes" is only half of a boolean, containing only
> "yes / true - no use of "no".
> Help that OSM database does not get detrimented by such tags.
> Don't miss out +30 years of data modeling as explained in the
> Namespace wiki page [1].

I consider railway:preserved=yes as highly preferrable to
railway=rail;preserved

It is much easier for mappers, editors, data processing,
documentation and basically everything else to handle it.

In addition treating railway tag is single valued has a long tradition.

I also see no problem with half of a boolean anyway.

And at last in theory it can be actually used with no value
in cases where it is beneficial to record it explicitly, similar
to oneway=no.

(and that is with ignoring that railway=rail;preserved would
break nearly all existing data consumers, starting from
JOSM mappaint, through iD presets, Default Map Style
and ending on Osmand)