[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Fri Apr 16 07:06:29 UTC 2021

> 16 apr. 2021 kl. 08:41 skrev Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
>
> I acknowledge there is a problem. I started out putting "gravel" on many maintained unpaved roads, only to look up the wiki some years later. I know use "fine_gravel" (taginfo 170k uses), which broadly corrisponds to the "gravel" of "gravel bikes".
> So, yes,  most of my "gravel" roads are really "fine_gravel", but I have no idea how widespread it is, and also how much it depends of the mapper's mother tongue.
> I would not redefine the value "gravel", rather put a warning on the page, pointing out that we have this wide spread confusion, and invite mappers to consider "fine_gravel”.

Just to pick an example close to me, Sweden has about 47000 highway=*,surface=gravel. In my entire life, I don’t think I have seen a single road corresponding to the (old; it seems to have changed now) wiki description of ”gravel”, but I have seen a lot of unpaved roads, so I’d guess about 40000 of those have the wrong surface value. They should probably be ”compacted” or ”fine_gravel”, but I’m not enough of a civil engineer to tell which, and I must confess that I have taken to mapping them simply as ”unpaved” because of this.

And yes, they are all what I’d call a ”grusväg” in Swedish, which translates literally to ”gravel road”.