[Tagging] surface=gravel problems

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Apr 16 07:49:44 UTC 2021

Apr 16, 2021, 09:06 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

>> 16 apr. 2021 kl. 08:41 skrev Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
>>
>> I acknowledge there is a problem. I started out putting "gravel" on many maintained unpaved roads, only to look up the wiki some years later. I know use "fine_gravel" (taginfo 170k uses), which broadly corrisponds to the "gravel" of "gravel bikes".
>> So, yes,  most of my "gravel" roads are really "fine_gravel", but I have no idea how widespread it is, and also how much it depends of the mapper's mother tongue.
>> I would not redefine the value "gravel", rather put a warning on the page, pointing out that we have this wide spread confusion, and invite mappers to consider "fine_gravel”.
>>

> Just to pick an example close to me, Sweden has about 47000 highway=*,surface=gravel. In my entire life, I don’t think I have seen a single road corresponding to the (old; it seems to have changed now) wiki description of ”gravel”

Yes, I changed it (after talk-au mailing list discussion revealed that wiki definition completely
mismatches actual mapping, see
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2021-March/thread.html#14439
and replies.
It started from what I expected to be pointless confirmation that my edit at Wiki was correct
- turned out that it was problematic due to basing it on what Wiki claimed)

> , but I have seen a lot of unpaved roads, so I’d guess about 40000 of those have the wrong surface value. They should probably be ”compacted” or ”fine_gravel”, but I’m not enough of a civil engineer to tell which, and I must confess that I have taken to mapping them simply as ”unpaved” because of this.

I would encourage posting images and asking for help - surface=unpaved may be also surface=sand
which is nasty for cyclists.

surface=compacted/surface=fine_gravel tag is very useful if you want to use way and you have
bicycle/stroller/wheelchair/etc