[Tagging] Deprecation of landuse=forest

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 21 12:08:42 UTC 2021

Apr 21, 2021, 12:37 by 61sundowner at gmail.com:

> On 20/4/21 4:30 am, Mateusz Konieczny      via Tagging wrote:
>
>> Apr 19, 2021, 10:41 by >> 61sundowner at gmail.com>> :
>>
>>> To me landuse=forest is for the human use of the          land .. it does not say 'here be trees'.
>>>
>> Note that in general mismatches how this tag is actually used
>>

>>> So the landuse does not change where trees have          been havested, it remains the same landuse.
>>>
>> If this areas will be replanted soon (or trees regrow        naturally) for pragmatic reasons it would
>> make sense to do it anyway.
>>
>> Only in areas with many local mappers focusing on their area        it
>> would make sense to delete (parts of) forest just to recreate        it months/year later.
>>
> So there is no way to tag an "area used for timber production,      regardless of current tree cover".

See https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-April/061182.html
that I earlier posted in the thread.

I linked https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Alanduse%3Dforestry
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landuse=forestry#overview
in my posting.

Also, I seem to remember that the same exchange already happened more than once
in the past. With almost the same exchange. Are you deliberately ignoring facts
that (1) landuse=forest is not actually used for land use and (2) landuse=forestry
exists if someone wants to tag "area primary used for forestry activity"?

PS

If someone really tags that - the landuse=forestry exists, but it is barely used for quite good reasons.
Grouping together sawmills, cut forest, areas of planned forest planting, actual forest is
not very useful and fuzzy and of dubious verifiability.