[Tagging] remove “rendering” from proposal template

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 23:21:12 UTC 2021

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 17:46, stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:

> I believe that while proposal authors should feel free to make suggestions
> for rendering, it is renderer authors (implementors) who do the
> interpretation of what the tag (or tagging scheme) “means,” where the sign
> or symbol is open to a visual representation, or “semiotics” (to use a more
> precise word) of not the proposal author, but the renderer author.
> Renderer authors might appreciate a suggestion — it could fill in a blank
> if there is one in their mind — sensibly nudging towards a particular
> graphic direction by the proposal author.  But ultimately, rendering is up
> to renderer authors, not (tag, syntax) proposal authors.

I've certainly been criticised in the past for "suggesting" a particular
render on a proposal for a new tag!

One question about the current procedure though?

I put through a proposal, with a suggestion that this could render as a
blue square with a yellow horizontal line across it, & the proposal is
accepted.

I then have to raise a suggestion on GitHub Carto to say that this proposal
has been accepted, so could I suggest that this render would be good?

At some stage (today / in 6 months?), my suggestion is looked at, but after
playing with it, the "renderer author" decides that it would be better
shown as an upside down red triangle with a silver lightning bolt on it,
creates that, pushes it through the system & lo & behold, my idea is now
rendered! :-)

Does that Carto author then go back into the wiki & update the rendering
reference / description, or is that up to me to notice that it's now
started rendering, so I have to update the page?

I know I've seen quite a few wiki pages that have suggestions that this
could render as xxx, but that item doesn't render at all, or it shows as a
completely different icon.

Thanks

Graeme