[Tagging] remove “rendering” from proposal template

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sat Apr 24 02:25:55 UTC 2021

On Apr 23, 2021, at 4:21 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> One question about the current procedure though?
>
> I put through a proposal, with a suggestion that this could render as a blue square with a yellow horizontal line across it, & the proposal is accepted.
>
> I then have to raise a suggestion on GitHub Carto to say that this proposal has been accepted, so could I suggest that this render would be good?
>
> At some stage (today / in 6 months?), my suggestion is looked at, but after playing with it, the "renderer author" decides that it would be better shown as an upside down red triangle with a silver lightning bolt on it, creates that, pushes it through the system & lo & behold, my idea is now rendered! :-)
>
> Does that Carto author then go back into the wiki & update the rendering reference / description, or is that up to me to notice that it's now started rendering, so I have to update the page?

I think (and again, these are simply one person's opinions, but I am enjoying the discussion) it's important to recognize at least three things here:  1)  Proposal authors are certainly welcome to make suggestions for renderings, but it is ultimately up to renderer authors to "do the rendering" (with semiotics that THEY see fit to use).  2)  We're still "sharpening focus" on what are Best Practices here.  There aren't hard and fast rules (yet, though they do emerge).  Finally, 3), "ideas / suggestions for renderings" are a sort of meritocracy:  some outstanding ideas will make so much sense and simply be "forehead slappingly easy" most or even all of us will agree "well, of course that's how this should be rendered," while other suggestions will be nowhere near as sensible and others will come up with better ideas.  This is a natural order of things that is to be expected.

> I know I've seen quite a few wiki pages that have suggestions that this could render as xxx, but that item doesn't render at all, or it shows as a completely different icon.

This is simply the process of "good try, but didn't make the mark."  There is no judgement, simply either a disconnect or "I (as renderer author) have better ideas about how to render this, so the suggestion was noted, but ultimately ignored."  Whenever that happens, anybody should be "strong" enough to think, "that's OK, it was a good try, but it didn't make it."

Big takeaway:  rendering suggestions are welcome in Proposals, but renderer authors make the final decisions here.