[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - boundary=forestry( compartment) relations

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Apr 25 21:06:44 UTC 2021

On Apr 25, 2021, at 2:04 AM, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
> From what i saw it seems that Mateusz was essentially spot on in
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-February/059625.html
> when he said:
>
> "So it is likely that this will get shared opposition from people who completely disagree with each other."
>
> Or in other words:  Almost everyone is unhappy with the current situation but for so completely different reasons and with a so completely different perception of the status quo that it is very hard to even start finding a starting point and common ground for developing consensus.

Christoph (and list): While there is an abundance of pessimism in your (and Mateusz') characterizations, and disappointment felt widely (I feel it, I'm sure David feels it, all who voted Approved and it was not Approved feel it...), I am seriously heartened by David's pledge of valiant efforts ahead to continue this marathon to a finish line.  Do I use the word "optimistic?"  Not quite yet, but I look forward to doing so; "seriously heartened by continuing efforts" is the best I can do right now.

If we agree that we (others in the community, seeking broader support that "it is possible, though difficult, to solve this") ARE looking for better starting points and common ground for developing consensus, we are far more likely to FIND these rather than by identifying (and remaining in) pessimism.  Let's move past the pessimism towards optimism that if we look for common ground we can and will find it.  This is not an unsolvable problem, nobody has ever proven that, I don't believe it for a moment.  It is difficult, everybody agrees, even very difficult, but that hasn't stopped OSM before.

It seems a best way forward (certainly not the only one) is to continue to find agreement where we can.  David is sorting that out now.  In my mind that shines a bright light forward rather than plunging us into the dark of despair that "solving forest is impossible."  It isn't.  The vote produced vast, rich veins of sentiment that can now be mined for the gold they contain, which will propel this forward, that's the OSM way (for Proposals that come back for another vote after improvement).  Are we at Mile 14 (out of 26?), 15, 16?  I don't know, but there is still a long run ahead, it won't be simple, but we clearly have the dedication we need to surge forward with great intentions.  The entire community helps by recognizing that not only is this a long-standing problem in OSM that continues to generate confusion and consternation, but that our methodologies to solve it (and the solving also proves to be long-term) are proceeding (slowly, but surely) and deserve good support from all of us.  So let's dispense with the pessimism and at least look forward to being optimistic about this.  If I can be "seriously heartened" about this, you can, anybody can, too.  Or at least somewhere "above neutral," certainly.

Yes, it's a difficult problem to solve.  Yes, we CAN solve it.

I (publicly) offer David my wish for his continuing courage in the face of difficulty.  "Heartened," "courage," I'm talking about sharing the same thing with him, really.