[Tagging] Roudabout, center island, type of a traffic_island?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 17:06:50 UTC 2021

highway=traffic_island  has no wiki page and 500 uses in Taginfo.
traffic_calming=island is not applicable for a roundabout centerpiece. The
wiki page traffic_calming clearly states: "

   - traffic_calming=island
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:traffic_calming%3Disland>

[image: Trafficcalming-island.jpg]
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Trafficcalming-island.jpg>
An island is a small area that temporarily separates two different
directions of traffic.In a roundabout there are no different directions of
traffic, as it is one-way by definition.
If we want to map the way how the centerpiece is planted, we should use the
same tagging as we use for normal land cover. For grass it should,
landcover=grass, if it's planted with flowers and bushes it becomes a
leisure=garden.
If there is a kerb that can be tagged a barrier=kerb.