[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page - Third Draft

Saeed Hubaishan hubaishan at outlook.sa
Fri Apr 30 14:22:35 UTC 2021

I would like to handling tagging of a ways shared between tracks and intermittent waterways it is very common in Yemen and Middle East. There are not an official method to tagging this case

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal, and Florian Lohoff for providing very helpful feedback on the first few drafts of my proposed rewrite of the highway=track wiki page sent to this list last month.  I've done my best to take all of your comments and concerns into account and have made considerable revisions.

I've settled on two key distinctions for highway=track that this draft is based on:  track roads are 1. "low importance land access roads like farm or forest tracks" and 2. "not part of the regular road network".  I feel that this is very much in the same spirit as the current agriculture/forestry based definition while also expanding it to better match worldwide usage.  These two distinctions intentionally leave room for interpretation.  How exactly we decide if a road is of "low importance" or part of the "regular road network" will vary from region to region.  Similarly, a "land access road" is a somewhat vague term, but I feel it concisely captures the idea that track roads are for accessing areas of open land, not permanent residences, settlements, facilities, etc.

Here is the latest draft.  Please let me know what you think.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ezekielf/Tag:highway%3Dtrack

First draft for reference:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=User:Ezekielf/Tag:highway%3Dtrack&oldid=2123291

Last month's tagging list discussion for reference:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-March/060353.html