[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - catholic

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 14:09:19 UTC 2021

The arguments of Greg and Mateusz are very valid.

There are several reasons we should not support making a specific
religious oriented subkey or semantics to improve the correct use of the
key:denomination:

1 denomination is a general term, very suitable to describe the
diversity amongst different  churches, faiths or whatever you call
them... applicable in all religions.
2 neutrality in OSM, both to avoid expression or domination of one
religion to another, vandalism. All denominations in one key forces a
mapper to treat them all equally. The introduction of a subkey
semantically named "catholic", might express a certain preference or
even claim of a certain denomination on the semantic name. Catholic is
used by different churches within Christianity and in different context,
well described and summarized in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicity
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicity>
3 high diversity and complexity: turning already biased denomination
values into subkeys does not improve simplicity or ease of use and
interpretation, accuracy. In the contrary, it makes it more complex. If
we would follow this data scheme one would have and see the creation of
denomination subkeys, as much diverse and lengthy as the list on our
wiki https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:denomination
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:denomination>

I suggest to improve our wiki on the page. The situation and need you
describe, particularly for Catholics,  is of course existing. The
introduction of "Catholic" as a valid value in my perception justified
and introduced for this particular case, with the advise in the wiki of
being more specific by using one of the other denomination, more
specific and less biased values.
If we want to improve accuracy, remain with a simple and neutral tagging
solution, improve the definition of catholic on the wiki page value
table. In the process of doing so add more context and explain why it
was introduced.  Not as to refer to roman_catholic church in general or
other catholic denominations, but to cater for the diversity within,
being it as different opinions on communion, adherence to the bishop of
Rome, or being Catholic and reformed (Anglicans and Lutherians call
themselves also Catholics, within a different context).
Mappers should be able to determine and use the denomination values
within the correct context as intended on our wiki, no matter what their
own religion or denomination is. We can't expect every mapper, to be an
expert in the matter. In complex and biased situations like Catholicism,
the same key provides a value to express this as well as the values to
be more accurate and specific. An example for other tagging schemes I
would say rather then a shortcoming which needs to be resolved.

Greetings,

Bert Araali