[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - catholic

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 21:27:39 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 9 Aug 2021, at 14:33, Guy Godfroy <guy.godfroy at gugod.fr> wrote:
>
> instead of using complicated denominations like
> denomination=roman_catholic or denomination=greek_catholic, use the
> generic and already wide used denomination=catholic with catholic=roman
> or catholic=greek

while it doesn’t seem less complicated to me to replace a specific denomination tag with a less specific plus another tag, it is true that “catholic” is by large the most frequently used denomination value

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/denomination#values

and there are already almost 40k catholic=roman tags around, so it definitely is already in wider use, and what we could be doing here is agreeing on a definition, rather than discussing whether we need the tag at all.

Cheers Martin