[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - catholic

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Aug 10 22:43:36 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 14:27 2021-08-10, Martin Koppenhoefer đã viết:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 9 Aug 2021, at 14:33, Guy Godfroy
>> <guy.godfroy at gugod.fr> wrote:
>>
>> instead of using complicated denominations like
>> denomination=roman_catholic or denomination=greek_catholic, use the
>> generic and already wide used denomination=catholic with catholic=roman
>> or catholic=greek
>

> while it doesn’t seem less complicated to me to replace a specific
> denomination tag with a less specific plus another tag, it is true that
> “catholic” is by large the most frequently used denomination value
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/denomination#values
> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/denomination#values>
>

> and there are already almost 40k catholic=roman tags around, so it
> definitely is already in wider use, and what we could be doing here is
> agreeing on a definition, rather than discussing whether we need the tag
> at all.

Something strange is going on here. Despite the taginfo page above
showing 39,167 uses of catholic=roman (38,154 on nodes, 954 on ways, 59
on relations), there seems to be no trace of them anywhere.

OSM tag history shows a sudden, dotted-line spike from 0 to that total,
which basically means it doesn't know how it came to be so popular more
recently. <http://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/catholic/roman>

Ohsome Dashboard shows exactly nil uses since 2007.
<https://ohsome.org/apps/dashboard/>

A global Overpass API query <https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1acs> finds
only one war memorial in the shape of a cross.
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/8996720338>

Geofabrik's taginfo instances for France are their only ones that can
find any occurrences of this tag:

http://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/france/tags/catholic=roman
http://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/france/bourgogne/tags/catholic=roman
http://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/france/franche-comte/tags/catholic=roman
http://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/france/provence-alpes-cote-d-azur/tags/catholic=roman
http://taginfo.geofabrik.de/europe/france/rhone-alpes/tags/catholic=roman

And they don't add up: 39,167 occurrences in Rhone-Alpes alone, equal to
all of France, plus 2,524 in Provence Alpes-Cote-d'Azur, 275 in Franche
Comte, and 209 in Bourgogne.

Could the occurrences be on hidden (deleted) features, perhaps?

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us