[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse bush

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 10:02:32 UTC 2021

On 4/2/21 8:48 am, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 03:29:22PM -0500, Brian M. Sperlongano wrote:
>> I'm surprised to learn that people are using natural=scrub on landscaped
>> areas.  I was under the impression that natural=scrub is used for wild or
>> unmaintained areas, not intentional ornamental landscaping.
> People do so and they even overlap landuse with natural.
>
> I made myself a debug view for stuff like that and remove it. Either an area
> is natural or it is used e.g. landuse. But IMHO there cant be a natural
> in a landuse or vice versa.

Ever hear of 'native forest logging"??? Where native forests are harvested for their timber. And the native trees are replanted for future harvesting.

Note the key 'natural' is described as "describes natural physical land features, including ones that have been modified or created by humans." in the OSM wiki. I would prefer the key 'landcover' this this,
with other things in 'natural' being 'landforms' e.g. peak, valley.

> This is all what i consider tagging for the renderer and it is caused
> by the lack of alternatives for micromapping.
>
> landcover may be one.

I think it is fitting things mappers want to map into OSM limited and inconsistent tags.