[Tagging] Proposal ogham_stone

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 22:50:35 UTC 2021

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 at 22:17, Anne-Karoline Distel <annekadistel at web.de>
wrote:

About the ref thing: Yes, it is very in depth tagging and doesn't need to
> be part of the proposal. I want to use the ref tag to be able to link to
> the Ogham in 3D page, like we do with mapillary ID and wikidata.

Neither of those use ref or a variant of ref.  There are strong feelings
that they should have used ref, and strong feelings that they should not.
The problem with ref=* is if some more important, and/or
comprehensive external database appears and we end up wishing
we'd used ref=* for that one and not the 3d one.

> They don't have all Ogham stones in their database, so we can't
> generically

use the name to create the link.

I don't understand that reasoning.  I'm not even sure I understand
what you meant.

Most objects we map don't have a corresponding wikidata item, yet we
manage with wikidata=*.   The same goes for mapillary.  We have
openplaques:id=* for plaques, and not all of those are on the
openplaques site.  You could go with url=* or webpage=* (but
that then pre-empts their use for other links about the
individual stones) or ogham-3d=* (and wait for many
arguments for and against).

Probably best not to mention the 3D stuff in this proposal. :)

--
Paul